Wednesday, March 31, 2010

ART IS A GATE...


'Art is a gate, not a product' - Robert Creeley, poet 



I am really tired of my work being referred to as a 'product'...as if it is any kind of object manufactured or refined for resale...any ideas on a better description?
I am thinking of the word 'artefact'  - an object made by a human being, typically an item of cultural or historical interest.(Dictionary description)

So here are some of my newest artefacts...where I have continued to be inspired by West African textiles, in particular Fante flags and Egyptian appliqué work. Naïve and whimsical images, both figurative and abstract, are depicted sometimes accompanied by random and often cryptic excerpts of poetic text. Colours are bright, primary and the application is graphic and crisp.
Material used is charcoal earthenware, press-moulded and handbuilt, with underglaze colours, underglaze pencil and transparent glaze. Both utilitarian and decorative, in these works I am exploring a sense of light, colour and joie de vivre. 

5 comments:

red road studio said...

How about 'investment piece' what ever you decide your work has a lovely naive, colourful quality to it which I really like! great blog!

Clementina van der Walt said...

thanks, I guess I am trying to get away from the notion that craft/art/handmade objects are not merely 'products' made for commercial gain (although obviously that is a major element in terms of earning a living) - but that something other, something 'soul-like', something with a spirit, a cultural element too is present in what we make...

Clementina van der Walt said...

thanks, I guess I am trying to get away from the notion that craft/art/handmade objects are not merely 'products' made for commercial gain (although obviously that is a major element in terms of earning a living) - but that something other, something 'soul-like', something with a spirit, a cultural element too is present in what we make...

Clementina van der Walt said...

thanks, I guess I am trying to get away from the notion that craft/art/handmade objects are not merely 'products' made for commercial gain (although obviously that is a major element in terms of earning a living) - but that something other, something 'soul-like', something with a spirit, a cultural element too is present in what we make...

red road studio said...

I'm toiling with the commercial gain part and 'the need' to design and be creative. Maybe we just can't be pigeon holed! Thanks for getting back to me - I enjoy your thoughts and your work!