Thursday, April 15, 2010

VASES AND VESSELS

Vessels/vases in progress - wheel thrown, distorted and assembled

I have been invited to take part in an exhibition entitled VESSEL at Kim Sacks Gallery in Johannesburg in June. In the 80's I was zealously crusading the concept of 'VESSEL' as an expressive art form. Today, however, as a somewhat less cocky prosetylizer, that seems a little pretentious. I might now rather settle for the utilitarian and simple concept of VASE. Besides, the word VESSEL conjures up a complexity of meaning - from a container, to a conveyer of blood and fluids, to sailing ships etc. Hence re-visiting this area of the ceramic discourse, I am inspired by T.S.Eliot's lines from Little Gidding
http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/tseliot/7069


'We shall not cease from exploration,
and the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive where we started
and know the place for the first time.

With that in mind, let's see what I can come up with!

No comments: