Monday, October 18, 2010

SELECTION FROM THE NATIONAL EXHIBITION

TROPHY INSTALLATION BY MARGARET WOERMANN - By far the most interesting and cutting edge piece on the show! Part of it was not selected which really didn't make sense..(?)

PLATE BY BRENDAN FORD


ER..UM..I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO MADE THIS(!)..but found it rather a poignant piece

ONE OF A GROUP OF THREE BY LOUISE GELDERBLOM


THE PIECE WHICH WON THE PREMIER AWARD BY SIBONELA LUTHULI

These are some of the pieces on the exhibition which I found the most interesting. My studio received a merit award for functional piece which was great. (It was a green bottle shaped vase, see earlier blog on National Exhibition)
The opening of the show was attended by so many people I got really excited, wow, so many fans of the ceramic discipline! But sadly this did not translate into the equivalent sales...I can't help thinking that if patrons don't support ceramists, in the end, the craft will become obsolete, a bit like lace-making.

2 comments:

Kitty Shepherd said...

I wonder if the unknown wolf is by Klara Kristalova?

Thanks for this article and photographs, I very much like the work of Margaret Woermann, I too am working on a series of trophies in the name of surviving species and best supporting genome rather than best in the long jump, it is so interesting to see Margaret’s at such a crucial stage in my production of a parallel result!

tessa said...

the debate continues..beezarre